Katie Sanderson is a seriously talented chef who surprises us with new and exciting flavours every time we are lucky enough to taste her food. Katie grew up in Hong Kong and now living in Ireland has managed to create Asian inspired dishes made with local, seasonal Irish vegetables both from the ground and the sea.
Katie can be found running really exciting workshops, hosting dinners, offering consultations and making tasty things in The Fumbally. Having been to one of Katie’s dinners in The Fumbally last Wednesday evening I would highly recommend you all do the same. The menu was full of interesting things in the form of fermented veggies, miso and of course her magic peanut and chilli sauce. I had run out of my own supply at home so between myself and my friends we brought home another five jars!
(This is for one portion)
1/2 an Aubergine
1 portion of black rice or black rice noodles
A big handful of greens of your choice- I used an Irish lettuce
1 cup of chickpeas (canned or soaked)
1 cup of sliced cucumber
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp Maldon salt
1 tablespoon of Katie’s peanut and chilli sauce
- Preheat the over to 180 degrees
- Slice an aubergine in half, cutting slices across it as in the image above and place in a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt
- When the oven has heated put the aubergine in for 20-25mins until crispy and golden brown on the top, soft in the middle
- Place the chickpeas in an oven proof dish squeezing the lemon on top with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of Malon salt and as much coriander as you like!
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes
- Place the noodles or rice on to cook as per instructions
- Chop the cucumber into chunks or finely if you prefer
- Wash and dry the lettuce and tear it up
- Pile all this delicious goodness into a bowl and enjoy with a spoon of Katie’s peanut and chilli sauce on top!