It's September, a time of new beginnings, fresh starts and back to school for the kids! This September many of you will also return to work. The need for lunch time ideas and on-the-go snacks is back with a bang, so we have created a feel good yet comforting treat to ease you back into life ; Bunny Bars aka Carrot Cake Flapjacks!
They are the perfect on-the-go mid afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee and can easily be made lunchbox friendly (just substitute the nobó chocolate chunks for raisins). The grated carrots bring a wonderful moisture and a lovely cakiness to these ‘bunny bars’! Enjoy!
250g oats (gluten free if desired)
80g coconut oil
40ml olive oil
80g coconut sugar
3 tbsp brown rice syrup
50g Nobó Choc or 50g Raisins
1 or 2 medium carrot - approx 100g grated
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp cinnamon
10 large flapjacks
- Preheat oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small pan combine the coconut sugar, coconut oil, olive oil, brown rice syrup and vanilla extract, and over a low/medium heat stir until the coconut oil melts and sugar dissolves.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, grated carrot, chocolate chips (or cinnamon and raisins if making for school) and mix together.
- Add the liquid ingredients from the pan to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or your hands! until the oats are fully covered
- Scoop the mixture onto the pre-lined baking tray and flatten evenly using a metal spoon.
- Bake for 25 mins until golden brown (they should still be soft to touch).
- After five minutes cooling, press the flapjacks with something heavy and flat (this compresses them and stops them falling apart). Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!