Sticky toffee puddings were always winter favourite in our household growing up, and the warm rich datey goodness still brings back the most nostalgic memories. This is a healthier take on the classic, a dairy and gluten free recipe without any compromise on flavour. You could easily make this as one large pudding if you prefer.
Best served warm with whipped coconut cream or a generous scoop of Irish Salted Caramel Frozen Goodness! Yum!
Sticky Toffee Puddings
- 135g dates, chopped
- 120ml boiling water
- 3g baking soda
- 20g milled chia seeds
- 60ml water
- 60ml oat milk
- 3tsp apple cider vinegar
- 105g self raising flour (gluten free)
- 25g melted coconut oil
- 55g coconut sugar
- 60g Nobó Salty Caramel chocolate, chopped
- 35g blackstrap molasses
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius (fan oven) and grease (or better) line some small ramekins with parchment paper.
- Start by preparing the dates, chia egg and vegan buttermilk.
- Place the dates in a bowl and sprinkle the soda over them. Pour the hot water over the dates and soda mix and stir. Set aside.
- To make the chia egg mix together the milled chia seeds and water. Set aside.
- To make the buttermilk pour the apple cider vinegar into the oat milk and stir. Also set aside.
- To make the batter using the reverse cream method; place the flour and sugar into a bowl and pour in the melted coconut oil, now whisk until you get fine crumbs.
- In this exact order now pour in the chia egg, molasses, dates, chocolate and last the buttermilk and swiftly mix until the batter just comes together. Spoon into prepared ramekins and bake for 20 minutes. Let rest for about 5 minutes and then remove from the ramekins. Best served hot with caramel sauce and Frozen Goodness or vegan cream.
Vegan Caramel sauce
You can make this caramel sauce in advance, or while the puddings are baking.
- 50g coconut sugar
- 150ml liquid vegan cream (I used oatly)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract (optional)
- Place ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking constantly.
- Allow mix to simmer for about 15 minutes, whisking every now and then until slightly thickened (but not too thick!)
We hope you enjoy!