A stir-fry is a simple, fast and healthy dinner ready in minutes! As long as you have the base ingredients in your cupboard (onion powder, garlic, cornflour, roasted almond butter, tamari & sesame oil) you can play around with a variety of different veg and protein to keep your mid-week dinners feeling fresh!
This recipe is packed with plant-based protein & fibre, with a delcious nutty and unami flavour coming from the almond butter & tamari sauce. For this one, we used extra firm baked tofu and a variety of green veg, but really you can include or switch out with any variety you have in the fridge!
- 250g extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 45g roasted almond butter (about 3 heaped tbs)
- 30ml tamari
- 80ml water
- 2tsp chilli flakes
- 3 spring onions
- 3 stalks asparagus
- 6 stalks tender stem broccolini
- 2 handfuls mangetout
- 1 pak choi
- 100g edamame beans
- Sesame oil for frying
- Loads of fresh coriander to serve
- Buckwheat soba Noodles for two
Tip: Make sure you tofu is extra firm not firm or soft/silken tofu. Extra firm tofu has the least amount of water in it and so it is ideal for achieving that crispy texture without deep frying. Squeeze out access water by placing the tofu between kitchen towels and placing a weight on top. Another trick to try (and less messy) is to freeze the tofu and the then boiling/simmer before sautéing it!
- Firstly preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Chop the tofu and place into a bowl.
- Add the garlic and onion powder as well as cornflour. Mix to cover the tofu and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes turning occasionally until crisp.
- While the tofu is baking make the marinade by whisking together the almond butter, chilli flakes, tamari and water.
- When the tofu is slightly cooled down, add to the marinade, mix to cover and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tofu leaving most of the marinade in the bowl.
- Heat some sesame oil in a frying pan and quickly fry the tofu until browned, about 5 mins. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Chop all veg (except the edamame beans).
- Heat a bit more sesame oil and add the veg (except the edamame beans).
- Now pour over the marinade and stir through.
- Only fry for about 5 minutes until heated through (you don't want soggy veg) adding the edamame beans at the very end.
- Simultaneously boil the soba noodles, following instructions on the packet.
- Serve the Noodles topped with the veg, tofu and fresh coriander.